Animal Husbandry Fellowships
Job Title: Animal Husbandry Fellowship
Reports to: Animal Care Manager
Classification: Paid Fellowship
Salary: Stipend of $250/week or $175/week with rental-free housing on WildCare's Property (only 5 spaces for fellows)
Effective Date: 1/28/20
Applications due: 2/28/20 or until all fellowships are filled
Term: Animal Husbandry Fellowships vary from 10 weeks to 9 months with flexible start dates from February with most starting in May or June.
WildCare provides people a place to bring native wildlife struggling to survive with the goal of releasing healthy individuals back to nature. WildCare, the largest wildlife rehabilitation facility in Oklahoma and one of the largest in the U.S., is currently offering full-time, seasonal paid fellowships for the 2020 season. Fellows have responsibilities in all aspects of care for over 6,500 of Oklahoma’s injured, ill, and orphaned wildlife. Over 100 species are brought to WildCare annually.
WildCare is seeking animal husbandry fellows to learn about and provide daily care to injured, ill, or orphaned wildlife. This is a paid, full-time seasonal position with an established, high-volume wildlife rehabilitation center. You will receive hands-on experience, guided by trained staff, in rearing native songbirds, mammals, raptors, and reptiles.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide all daily rehabilitative care for wildlife patients in assigned care areas, including feeding and cleaning, treatment, and monitoring patients’ progress.
- Carry out maintenance projects at the facility and other projects assigned by Animal Care Managers.
- Learn and implement patient protocols by species.
- Observe animals’ condition and behavior and report to Animal Care Managers.
- Perform patient admissions and intake exams as needed.
- Carry out assigned releases.
- Assist with animal admissions and patient record entries.
- Learn wildlife conflict resolution techniques to share with members of the public that call WildCare for advice and guidance.
- Update Community Liaison regarding patient updates for social media including taking photographs and video.
As a fellow, you will have the opportunity to rotate through nursery areas based on need, previous experience, and personal interest.
- Responsible, trustworthy, and motivated multi-tasker.
- Must have a positive attitude and not be easily overwhelmed.
- Must be willing to learn and grow.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Life Sciences, or related field preferred.
- Wildlife rehabilitation or other animal care experience preferred.
- Rabies pre-exposure recommended but not required for work with most species.
- Reliable personal vehicle and valid driver’s license required.