WildCare Foundation: Wildlife Care Intern
Salary: $250.00 weekly Type of Position: Paid Internship Education Requirement: High School / GED Experience Requirement: < 1 year
WildCare provides people a place to bring native wildlife struggling to survive with the goal of releasing healthy individuals back to nature. WildCare, the largest wildlife rehabilitation facility in Oklahoma, is currently offering full-time seasonal paid internships for the 2019 season. Interns have responsibilities in all aspects of care for over 6,000 of Oklahoma’s injured and/or orphaned wildlife of 100+ species that are brought to WildCare annually.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide all daily rehabilitative care for wildlife patients in assigned care areas, including feeding and cleaning, treatment, and monitoring patients’ progress.
- Carry out medical treatments as prescribed by our veterinarian.
- Carry out maintenance projects at the facility and other projects assigned by Team Leaders.
- Learn and implement patient protocols by species.
- Observe animals’ condition and behavior and report to Team Leaders.
- Perform patient admissions and intake exams as needed.
- Carry out assigned releases.
- Assist with animal admissions and patient record entries.
- Interns will rotate through nursery areas based on need, previous experience, and personal interest.
- Update Community Liaison regarding patient updates for social media including taking photographs and video.
- Interns will learn wildlife conflict resolution techniques for over the phone.
Responsible, trustworthy, multi-tasker, motivated, positive attitude, willingness to learn and grow, good physical condition (able to lift 50 pounds), able to work in Oklahoma summer heat, B.S. degree in Life Sciences or related field preferred. Wildlife rehabilitation or other animal care experience preferred. Rabies pre-exposure recommended but not required for work with most species. Reliable personal vehicle and valid driver’s license required. Internships vary from 10 weeks to 9 months with flexible start dates from February to November with most starting in May or June.
You will be working at least 40 to 60 hours weeks with regular days off.
WildCare expects their interns to work hard, be dedicated to learning, and maintain a positive attitude in a hectic atmosphere. Interns must be able to work long days in a hectic environment while maintaining a positive attitude. Interns should communicate effectively and treat others with respect. Interns should serve as role models for the compassionate and dedicated care their animal patients should receive.Interns should be detail-oriented. Interns should recognize their limitations and know when to ask for help from their Team Leader. Interns should be self-sacrificing of their time in order to ensure all animal patients receive the care they deserve and to see all jobs through to completion.
Send cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least 2 references to [email protected] This position is seasonal. Minimum commitment is 10 weeks between February and November. Internships may be extended up to 9 months based on need and performance.